Friday, March 17, 2006

New Orleans in March

My wife came to New Orleans for the first time since our wedding last June. I told her I was going to take her on "The Tour" - Carrollton to Uptown to the Quarter then down Claiborne to the Lower 9 and Chalmette then up Paris Road through the East and back through Gentilly and Lakeview. It's still awful everywhere (and, hey! the Beachcorner is open!) But it was great to see so many young people working on houses that had been destroyed. Must be college students on Spring Break or something. I hope they come back in a few years to see how important their work has been for New Orleanians. I also hope they come back to help again.

My wife's reaction was not mine (as she is from Columbus, OH). But after a while I think she was numb to it all. Once you see destruction on this scale, it is hard to take it all in. She didn't know that Metairie had been hurt as bad as it was and was surprised about my mom's house. But then I told her that we were only on one end of the damage and things were worse in Mississippi. And that the destruction went on for 90+ miles to Mobile. Then she got kind of silent. I hope she understands why I am so frustrated, and angry, and upset now.

No comments: