Monday, March 13, 2006

Lethargy and respite

Yesterday was the St. Patrick's parade on Metairie road. For a little while around here, things felt kind of normal. I know it's not Mardi Gras, but it felt good to scream for beads and cabbage for a little while instead of working on my mom's house. There was a crawfish boil at my brother's in-laws (is that my in-laws, too?). It was nice to see family together celebrating a Sunday.

Not that this is news, but most of the people that I talked to at the parade all said they were drinking more lately. I know that people around here drink a lot already (it's part of the "culture") but the celebratory aspect of it seems to be missing now and the rationale is pain relief. It sucks driving across town and large portions still don't have streetlights or stoplights or anything.

However, after all the fun, we went to see the Joe Krown group at the Maple Leaf and drink some more myself. Good band and good fun. Check 'em out if you get the chance.

No comments: