Thursday, April 03, 2008

What is there to say?

Ashley Morris passed away yesterday, April 2, 2008. I only met Ashley in person once.

But I looked forward to reading every word on his blog. I was always curious to see what new thing he would reveal about his life and travels and see pictures of him doing the things I never had the guts to do or the incredible people he was able to meet.

More importantly, he was able to take the anger and frustration that so many felt about what happened in and to New Orleans and focus it on the issue. His blog inspired and inspires me to try to do the same. I do not have his way. I truly loved the way he always kept the focus on the real issues and never let the nincompoops baffle the unaware with lies about New Orleans.

I still think he was right about one laptop per child in New Orleans, and I watched Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations now because of him. I love that every possible contest that involved New Orleans was featured on Ashley's blog, and we were encouraged to vote in them.

Ashley was a real influence on me. In fact, when I came up to my computer today, his blog was the last one I was perusing. Things can really happen fast.

I hope that the jelly belly people make a crab boil flavored bean for him. He deserves at least that.

No comments: