Saturday, April 26, 2008

JazzFest

Either you are a Mardi Gras person or a JazzFest person. I like them both, but as I have gotten older I tend to favor the JazzFest. I think this is mainly because I don't have a place next to the parade route like I used to when I lived on Prytania and Pleasant.

Anyway, for 14 years, Kermit the Frog, perched atop an 18 foot extension wind-sock pole, has been accompanying me to JazzFest so that friends and acquaintances can find me. I have even begun a myspace page (http://myspace.com/jazzfestkermit) so that when I catch people taking a picture I can have them upload it. The kids and adults love him.

This year, however, something seemed different. It seemed like it was the Disney JazzFest or something. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but most of the folks appeared to be from Shaker Heights, OH or Indiana or Georgia. Nothing is particularly wrong with that, but they also seemed stunned that you could dance and have fun and enjoy life by letting loose.

Best of the day - Big Sam's Funky Nation, Burning Spear, Terance Simian and crawfish enchiladas and Andouille Gumbo
Worst of the day - Anders Osborne (was he strung out?) and the size of the crawfish bread (there's only one size!)

Look for Kermit!

4 comments:

Adrienne Salvaggio said...

I guess I am a mardi gras person seeing as i have never been to Jazz fest. how tragic! One of these days i will actually get there. I have friends coming in town for weekend 2, but i will yet again be working! sigh

NOLAEventPlanner said...

First of all, I’m sure you were my 7th grade Latin teacher, so it’s strange that I find myself reading your blog… it’s a REALLY small world. Anyway, I work for jazz fest, and the “Disney” like atmosphere has been credited to the rise in ticket prices. You would be shocked at the massive number of complaints that come in because they think atmosphere closely resembles a country club. I specifically work with people who by the $850-$1000 weekend pass, and it’s quite hysterical to these people slip on their Coach boots and Dooney raincoats to go wade through a flooded field. Also, you wouldn’t think the really wealthy people would come mingle with the masses, but most purchase access to the VIP lounge areas where the bathrooms are nicer than any five diamond hotel, the food is excellent, and they can watch the concerts from “viewing stands”! I mean, what is jazz fest coming to?

LatinTeacher said...

I don't know who you are, but I bet I did teach you. It was interesting to hear all the midwestern accents. And the viewing stands were empty for the local acts which says something right there. Things did improve a lot on Saturday. (I even saw my tennis partner from 1988 selling beer at the St. Catherine tent!)

The long, long road home,New Orleans said...

Proof that Jazz Fest is becoming a tourist attraction (not necessarily a bad thing) But the foundation is pricing out locals. I miss when prices were reasonable and you could go everyday. You could bring in wagons and ice chests and the crowd was distinctly local. Oh well another New Orleans institution bites the dust.