Thursday, December 27, 2007

Top 50

Every year, one of the things I look forward to is the OffBeat Top 50 Louisiana albums/CDs of the year - partly to see how well I did buying this year, partly to disagree, and partly to say, "I didn't know he/she/they released an album/CD/EP.
This year, I did pretty good in that I have the Galactic and Tab Benoit CDs from this year, both of which I love.

I don't always agree with their picks, and I would like to disagree with their choice to exclude Lucinda Williams and Mary Gauthier from the list. They discuss New Orleans and Louisiana in their songs, and they do so from a different perspective from people currently in the industry in New Orleans. Just because we move away does not make us Louisiana. Its influences last a lifetime.

I didn't know that Anders Osborne had a new CD, or Bonerama, or Joe Krown. I did know the Subdudes had a new CD, and I will be buying that ASAP at Louisiana Music Factory. Maybe Supagroup, too.

Happy Listening!

No comments: