Thursday, July 17, 2008

Struggling

And this is why. I went to New Orleans this last weekend to see my best friend, Brian. He is sick. It was good to see him, and I am glad that he got to meet baby George.

A few months ago, I wasn't so sure that he was going to make it this long. But he has. And he is as stubborn a cajun boy as you will find. I don't know if he can beat this monster, but I know that the monster has cowered, flinched, and gotten its fair share of abuse. If cancer had a tangible, sentient component, it would be crying. Chuck Norris wishes he was as tough as Brian. Brian's just that kind of guy.

But the cancer is stubborn, too, and it's getting stronger as Brian gets weaker and his weapons to fight are running out. I have no doubt that he will fight as long as he can. I hope he kicks the cancer's ass. If anyone can do it, he can.

Fight on, brother, fight on.

No comments: