Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tough Decisions

Everywhere else in the country, it's just Tuesday.  And it sucks.  I really hate missing New Orleans during Mardi Gras - there's electricity in the air, and there's nothing as fun as seeing all your friends and family and meeting strangers on the street. 

And Mardi Gras sometimes forces people to make interesting and/or difficult decisions.  Several years ago when I was not paid well for my work, I had to make a decision that I am not proud of.  But it was a decision that had to be made - it was either have a great mardi gras or pay for my car insurance.  Mardi Gras won.  But I only had to drive 13 blocks to work, if I actually drove there. 

When I saw Brian one of the last times last year, I sheepishly mentioned this to him.  I never told anyone because I was embarassed that I didn't have the personal will power.  He laughed and told me that he, too, had neglected to pay his car insurance that year for the exact same reason.  He took the additional step of not getting a brake tag.  For seven years. 

Make good decisions today.  Have fun with your family.  And be safe.  Happy Mardi Gras!

No comments: